Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Honda GX240 MAX Motor Tune Up

It says 8, but I'm sure it's probably in the hundreds.
So, the go kart chassis I bought a few years ago did not come with a motor.  But, around the same time, the golf course I worked at got rid of this motor.  I recently had a bit of extra time on my hands, so I decided to fix up this motor and prep it for the go kart.  Hit the jump to see what that involved...

Okay, for starters there were a few things noticeably wrong from the get go.  For one thing, it hadn't been started in years.  I knew the oil would need to be changed, but was still amazed at how jet black the oil was.  

It took a while to drain.

Black as night

Spark plug was also in really bad shape.

Almost everything related to the fuel system was rusted.

Including the inside of the tank.
 

 I let the tank soak in pbBuster, but it barely helped.  Having to replace only one part isn't too bad though.  So I set out to find a replacement tank.  Buying a new one was going to set me back almost $160.  That's a bit ridiculous considering the engine was free. So I found a shop that sold old Honda engine parts.  Aside from 30 minutes of my life dealing with the asshole running the shop, I only lost 35 bucks on this black tank.  It's a bit banged up, but it doesn't leak and it bolt's right up.  Plus it's black, which gives it a unique look.

Seriously.  The guy I bought this from was a serious douche...
Fresh oil, new plug, clean tank, and the old girl started right up after 3 pulls.  Runs a bit rich, but I figured it would need some tuning.  Now I just have to figure out how to rig it to the chassis/drive-train and we're in business.

3 comments:

  1. On ECU Remapping Manchester A DPF (Diesel particulate filter) or FAP (Filter A Particles) is a device designed to remove diesel particles or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine. ECU Remapping Manchester basically traps the diesel particles (carbon deposits) in the system and once enough back pressure has been produced the vehicles ECU will carry out a "regeneration" cycle where these carbon particles are burnt and blown out of the system and through the exhaust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, there is unleaded or leaded petrol? I need know it for my kart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, there is unleaded or leaded petrol? I need know it for my kart.

    ReplyDelete